The Mt. Kenya Epik is an annual premier five day stage race traversing the foothills of the second tallest mountain in Africa. The route takes you through one of the most scenic global landscapes and challenging terrains guaranteed to push the riders to their absolute limits.
The event draws the world’s best riders, taking them on a grueling 500 kilometre race through the six counties bordering the mountain – Nyeri, Laikipia, Tharaka Nithi, Kirinyaga, Meru and Embu.
To be eligible to ride, participants must be at least 18 years old at the time of registration.
The Mt Kenya Epik attracts adventure seekers, amateurs from all walks of life, and elite professional mountain bikers, including some of the top riders from around the world.
Riders compete in teams of two to ensure they take care of each other, although riding in twos is also integral to team tactics. To qualify for a finish, paired teams have to stay together for the duration of the race and must cross the line within two minutes of each other.
The times taken to finish each stage of the race are aggregated to determine the overall winning team in each category at the end of the race. Winners of each stage will be recognised at the end of each day.
The event encourages entry by both professionals and amateurs who ride the same course and stay in the same race villages.
An integral part of the Epik is supporting Kenya’s Vision 2030 Social Pillar that seeks to improve livelihoods for the youth to make them globally competitive and to capitalize on the nation’s international reputation as an “athletic superpower” by opening up the country for top global sports events , encouraged by corporate sponsorships.
The Epik encourages each county to organize qualification races with the eventual winning pair being entered into the annual event, with an opportunity to build their skills and gain international exposure by competing alongside elite professional riders.
As good citizens, the organizers encourage the involvement of the community around the mountain in environment and conservation activities on the great mountain.
Experience the Race
You are welcome to join for a day or for the entire duration of the event and enjoy the race firsthand.
Amateurs and aspiring professionals experience a great camaraderie in the race village and get close to professional riders who come from all over the world to compete in the untamed African bush
Life at the race village is a great experience hosting riders, crew, volunteers, sponsors and supporters following the race.
To be the premier adventure challenge event of this nature in this region.
- Increasing the awareness of sports tourism activities
- Providing increased opportunities for employment in the region through various initiatives
- Supplementing conservation projects around the mountain which address issues arising as a result of human/wildlife conflict and management of natural resources
- Helping develop and recruit youth for the competitive sporting disciplines of cycling and running.
- Encouraging community involvement by schools in environment programs
- Providing a platform for expression and discussion of social issues such as education, agriculture, addiction, health etc. tailored and represented by each county
This year we are proud to announce our partnership with the Safari Simbaz in our quest to meet these objectives and to develop “champions both on and off the bike.”
The organisers of the Mt Kenya Epik will work together with the Safari Simbaz to establish programmes aimed at developing cycling at the grassroots level in the counties through which the Mt Kenya Epik traverses. Programmes will be targeted at local cycling clubs within these communities and will include:
- Carrying out various skill development workshops
- Assisting in structuring local level competitions
- Facilitating access to equipment for development of the sport
- Creating awareness about the opportunities/benefits available through cycling and the related businesses.
Through the Mount Kenya Epik we will provide a world class platform aimed at show casing upcoming young, talented riders and linking them with an international audience and opportunities for a brighter future. The event will also seek to increase the awareness of and development of sports tourism activities in this region.